Neil McLocklin, Knight Frank
Position: Head of Strategic Consulting EMEA
Company: Knight Frank
1. How did you enter the property industry?
Entered as a graduate from Reading initially in Fund Management and then a Private Equity Company. The latter resulted in my interest in the relationship between real estate and business strategy. I supplemented my education with an MBA from Cass Business School and a Masters in Telecommunications, and the lead a major change programme in the 1990s for BT. Since then I havecreatedand lead Strategic Consultancy practices initially in BT’s Major Business Sales team, but thenas a principal, as well as for Capita and Cushman & Wakefield. I am now doing the same at Knight Frank.
2. In your opinion, what is an important development or theme that will shape the future of the property industry?
Understanding how to use and apply big data to the real estate industry.
3. What do you wish someone had told you at the start of your career?
Never stop learning. Your first degree most probably has a shelf life of no more than a few years before the world has started to fundamentally change
4. What advice would you give to a young person starting their career in the industry?
Follow your passion and do what you love not go for the most money
5. To show young people that a mistake is not the end of the world, if you have made a mistake in your career, what did you learn from it?
I was head hunted to work for a consultancy in my early career and just stayed 2-3 months. It was a cultural mis-match. Lessons are really try to understand the culture of any prospective employer first and secondly if it is not a match get out quickly
6. How would you describe the current property industry in three words?
Ready for Change
7. Who is a person that really inspires you and why?
I am inspired by lots of every day people who through their actions make this a better world.